Saturday, March 19, 2011

Salted Butter Break-Ups

Wow, are these fast to make and fast to eat. 


I spent most of the week thinking I was making scallops this week.  On Wednesday I check the list of recipes to make from French Fridays with Dorie and to my surprise we were making the Salted Butter Break-Ups from around my french table.   I check the list of ingredients and needed butter, I always need butter these days, and sel gris

Sel Gris is gray sea salt and I did not have this in my pantry.  So, I went shopping.  I found a very coarse bottle at World Market and a very finely grated bottle at William Sonoma.  The recipe called for a version "with crystal that are large enough to be picked up individually".  But without these instructions with me I purchase the finely grated version and went light on the salt. I am still searching for the perfect salt. 

With that said, my cookie could have been saltier.  Also, I had tried an experiment by freezing ganache so I pared the break-ups with chocolate.  Really, I think these would be great with Strawberry's, but that could be my Spring Fever.  I did use my pastry cutter to score the top of the break-ups.  This worked well, but I need more practice on pretty. 

This is a quick and tasty dessert that would be perfect finish to a rich dinner.  It was sweet and crispy along the edges and softer in the middle.  These were a big hit with my tasters at work. 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed. I thought a hit of citrus zest would be a nice touch on these. Strawberries sound pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate would be perfect with these, I agree! I had mine with Brie and they were terrific. Love your shot on the red table cloth, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't do 'pretty' to save my life, so I broke out the cookie cutters and had some fun with it. Next time I'm just using my chef's knife. Love the chocolate dip on the side!

    ReplyDelete