Friday, April 29, 2011

Bistrot Paul Bert Pepper Steak a.k.a. flames in the kitchen

This was so fun.  I got to play with matches.  I didn't lose my eyebrows.  All of the issues I had when trying a flaming dish.  I did have to laugh, as soon as the flames went out in my frying pan, my smoke alarm went off.  Got to love that smoke alarm. 

I love these recipes in around my french table.  I never though it could be so easy to make such great dishes with just a few good ingredients.    I have been part of French Friday's with Dorie for just a few months and this has changed the way I cook.  I have a few basic recipes that I see myself using over and over and this is one of them.

Cook the filet in butter and oil
So, used regular black peppercorns, a wonderful filet from one of the local butcher shops, the rest was easy.  I had a stand by recipe for pan frying steaks on a bed of salt, but this is not good for my sodium intake.  Now it has been replaced by this pepper steak recipe. 


The peppers, Cognac, and cream made a smooth golden sauce that went over the steak.  My taste testers at work are sad I did not bake, but intrigued that this weeks recipe is so elegant and easy.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, I wish I had a chance to play with my matches but my cognac evaporated so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, the steak looks wonderful. Tricia did the cooking this week
    for her boys, but I decided to pass. After seeing all the wonderful
    results in this week's post, I definitely will have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an easy one, wasn't it? Very delicious too! yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your eyebrows are safe and that you enjoyed your steak!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it, the process and result both. We loved it, too.

    ReplyDelete